Thursday, January 03, 2008


This tank sits about 2 blocks from my home at a park. Barstow is a military type town. With out the Marine Corp Logistic Base and Ft. Irwin, Barstow would dry up and blow away.
The kids and I went over to the tank so they could crawl all over it. They had fun, I was in ahhh over how powerful this thing looks. Directly behind the tank is the fire station.
Barstow is such a dirty little city. I spent 14 years trying to get out of this area and here I am again stuck right back in it. I will be glad when the next chapter in life comes and I can get just a little closer to the ocean. Ahhh, the ocean. It is only 2 hours away, I would like it to be in my front yard. Open the door and there it is. The sounds of the ocean and seagulls are so inviting, so calming. The smell of the salt air is so wonderful. OK OK I am done dreaming, back to the tank.
This tank has been sitting here for many years, I wonder how many children have crawled on it? Did it ever operate in a war? Hummmm! I think I will just think about the ocean!

3 comments:

Jose said...

Impressive little suckers aren't they. On my way back from California we usually stop at Chiriaco Summit. The general Patton museum is there and you can see a lot of thanks and planes on display. Your tank reminded me of that.

DrillerAA said...

If I am not mistaken most of the military veheciles that you see in parks around the country have seen service. At some point they have been replaced with more modern equipment and what isn't recycled into scrap metal or used by the National Guard or Reserve units are offered to public entities for display.
There are even a few private collectors who would be interested in obtaining one of these metal monsters.

DrillerAA said...

I saw a news story last year that indicated if you want ocean front property, you probably need to move to Mexico. You can build a very nice home including land costs for under $200K the same property 25-40 miles north in San Diego will cost $2 mil +. Just a thought.